Grant Types & Eligibility
It’s up to you to determine what type of grant to apply for. The Peter Gilgan Foundation accepts applications for three types of grants:
Project grants fund specific programs or activities. Most grants provided through our Grant Program are project grants. Most first-time grants are single-year project grants, with values towards the lower half of our grant value range.
Capacity-building grants are discrete, specific investments to strengthen internal capabilities, knowledge and resources.
General operating grants
General operating grants are typically only awarded to repeat grantees after a successful project or capacity-building grant. Grantees may use these funds to cover any costs of running the organization and fulfilling the mission.
To be eligible to apply for funding, your organization must:
- Be a registered Canadian charity or Canadian Revenue Agency qualified donee
- Request between $5,000 – $100,000 per year
- Employ at least one paid staff member
- Have completed a tax return or financial audit for the previous fiscal year
- Have not submitted an unsuccessful Expression of Interest or Full Application to the Peter Gilgan Foundation in the past 12 months
We do not accept applications for:
- Capital campaigns
- Emergency relief
- Fundraising drives
- Fundraising events or galas
- Government services
- Grantmaking intermediaries